New Orleans Tribute

Long-time visitors to my main site will know an audio track has been in my media player for some time, and in my repertoire for longer.

 “Do You Know What It Means (To Miss New Orleans)”, was originally performed by Louis Armstrong & Billie Holiday back in 1947, and while covered by an array of artists since, I particularly love arrangements by Harry Connick Jr with Dr John and Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers. 
[Although, I will admit the latter choice is partly because Miss Thing ain’t too difficult on the eye. ;-) ]

Sometime after Hurricane Katrina struck Louisiana I was approached by long-time artist & friend, visual poet Jacqueline Hughes-Mooney.  As a long-time resident of New Orleans involved in the Changed Waters Katrina Project, Jacqueline was looking for a soundtrack for the educational work Changed Waters was taking forward at that time.

The sentiment of ‘Do You Know’ struck me immediately and I approached two fantastic producer-musicians I had worked extensively with on a number of other projects, including the more 80s jazz-funk inspired group Thieves Like Us. We decided that a bluesy-jazz vibe was in order, but were adamant we didn’t want to be too saccharine or sentimental.

I think we achieved it.  I’m really proud of the track, featuring an amazing guitar part by Rich Braithwaite and underpinned by Richard Cook’s cool Hammond & Fender-Rhodes.  The track accompanied a number of presentations and seminars across the United States, to consistently positive response.

Following a recent documentary, I’ve been thinking about post-Katrina New Orleans.  I am shocked and more than capable a pointing my finger at authorities figures… but  will resist getting political on y’all.
So I’ve been prompted to look again at the track and think about new and social media, and put together to accompany the music recording.  I hope you enjoy it.



Slightly more subdued that some of my ‘weddings’ work, I know.  See: I’m not just all about the party!
For more music about my fellow musicians and some our other work together please see

Enjoy yourselves….and have fun.

Jon Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment