NEW SONGS - Dinner & Jazz Numbers Added

Some of my regular followers will know I have begun to act as ad hoc “understudy” to the resident Friday-night singer at Tides Bar & Restaurant within the fabulous five-star St David’s Hotel in Cardiff Bay.

St David's Hotel, exterior
The show here requires a subtle touch, and I often open the proceedings with a selection of classic lounge and dinner jazz, which goes down very well for diners and easing-in relaxing hotel guests.  It’s a real pleasure to sing those American Songbook standards  - and has given me opportunity to expand my repertoire in order to keep the sets fresh and interesting.  (For me and the waiting staff, anyway!)

In the past few weeks I’ve therefore added a few new classic tunes and arrangements – these are of course now available within the wedding and events work I undertake for private clients and give me an enormous sense of pleasure to sing.

The new songs I have added this time are:

East of The Sun (And West of The Moon) [1934]


 This is a beautiful song – full of optimism and a sense of contentment: ‘up’ without being ‘hot’ and the arrangement I use also has a wonderful bass instrumental which is perfect for introducing myself and welcoming guests.  Perfect when acting as host/MC during cocktail hours at weddings!

Despite being the song I’ve used to lull my youngest to sleep for the past 4 years, it took me some time to find a fantastic backing recording of the version I really loved – namely Diana Krall’s from 1999.  I love the way her piano hook opens and hangs with a real sense of anticipation before the vocals starts.  The same hook also closes the arrangement, and in my interpretation I also lightly scat the same hook melody as a postlude – all very Tony Bennett, even if I do say so myself!

I Could Write A Book [1940]

"See dots.  See dots run. Run, dots, run!"
This vintage classic features in the score of Rogers & Hart’s ‘Pal Joey’, which later featured Frank Sinatra in the 1957 film version.  It’s also been covered by Ella Fitzgerald and Harry Connick Jr – although my favourite arrangement is absolutely that by the irreplaceable Cleo Laine.

With much risk of sounding all gushing, this part of the lyrics really touch me :
          "And the simple secret of the plot;
          Is just to tell them that I love you, a lot.
          Then the world discovers as my book ends;
          How to make two lovers of friends."


The sentiment reminds me of falling in love with my wonderful wife Helen – who is every day, more, my best friend.  I only hope I convey this feeling each time in the way the song is sung! 
[
Blimme I’m an old softie romantic!<sniff>]  ;-)

Quando Quando Quando [1962]

This 60s bossa nova classic is perhaps best known for a very full-on arrangement by Englebert Humperdinck …no…Zaphod Beeblebrox…no – go back one: Englebert Humperdinck. 
Buble & Furtado
(Excuse my digression – a reference there for other Eddie Izzard fans.)

However, 2005 saw Michael Buble duet with Nelly Furtado on a lush and cool arrangement that I have begun to use as a solo piece.  [Although Ms Furtado is welcome to join me martini style – any time, any place any where.  ;-)  ]
I love the sense of longing in the lyrics, but the forward momentum of the latin rhythm helps add a little energy to segue from the slightly more wistful jazz numbers in my sets. 
[And it makes clients drink a wee bit faster too, which bar managers seem to like ;-)  ]  

The American and jazz Songbooks is just so full of many fabulous numbers – I will be adding more new numbers of over the next few weeks: so please watch this space!

Take care…and have fun.

Jon Paul


Jon Paul performs a range of classic and vintage numbers, and swing classics, as well as contemporary ballads and numbers for dancing the into the wee hours.  He is available for dinner-dances, cocktail hours and corporate events and will adapt all his sets to suit the needs of each client.

No comments:

Post a Comment