SHOW REPORT: Susan & Paul’s Wedding, Caerphilly Castle – 31st March 2012.

Susan & Paul found my details online and contacted me for a no-obligation consultation about their plans for their all-day wedding, about a year before their Big Day.  Caerphilly Castle is a wonderful venue I was already familiar with – so I was able to offer my expertise and options to make the Great Hall even more magical throughout day by the use of evolving & creative lighting and sound solutions and live entertainment. 

By chatting with Susan I was able to provide a detailed breakdown of different services, and the levels of discount that could be applied when all packaged together as a complete all-day entertainment solution.  After bookings, in the year leading up to the event, Susan and I exchanged lots of emails planning the lighting layout & style, party music, ceremony music and a very special first dance, as well as other aspects to help the ‘flow’ of the day. 
In planning the event from the outset Susan & Paul's post-event feedback form said my "help and advice througout was excellent."
Susan had lots and lots of excellent ideas, but also accepted some of my suggestions, all of which combined to help the day run seamlessly.  As part of my service, I was able to meet the couple at the venue in person, to - quite-literally - walk through the day with them... I even stood in as Susan’s “dad”, taking the bride-to-be by the arm to step-out the pace of that all-important bridal procession from the oak doors to the feature shield wall where the marriage ceremony was to take place.  And I don’t think Paul minded too much. 
Susan was concerned at first about how the ceremony music would ‘work’ – and surely can’t be the only bride-to- be who had heard awkward silences or suddenly blaring music during civil ceremonies, or noticed processional music abruptly stop mid-phrase or start to loud in the whole place later on in the service.  Gladly Susan was confident in my ability to fade & EQ music appropriately for the acoustics of the huge medieval banqueting hall. 

On the day I also used my DJ skills when signing of the register ran longer than anticipated, I was able to create on-the-fly extended remixes of the string quartet arrangements she’d chosen, as well as fade and cue the exit music for the newlyweds & their guests to depart the ceremony room.

On the morning of the wedding, I arrived a few hours before the ceremony to install the PA (sound) system for the wedding preclude & ceremony music, as well as being on hand to supervise installation of our venue mood-lighting service, which Susan & Paul had added to the package.  Set to compliment the colour-theme of the day, these added a subtle accent throughout the venue by up-lighting the cold, ancient stones with an almost intimate glow that grew in intensity as the daylight progressed into evening.

Afterwards, Susan let me know her thoughts.  "I am really glad that we decided on the uplighters" she wrote, "as they really set the room up.  Again, many comments about this."

I was also on hand as the Wedding Host – a semi-formal MC service included within the package – liaising with the venue staff & registrar, assisting the ushers in welcoming & directing arriving guests, then of course working with my assistant James to make sure all the “key players” were in position for Susan’s breathtaking entry.  This part of my services adds a cohesiveness to the day which is ideal when couples don’t require a formality of a dedicated ‘red-coat’ Toastmaster, although this is also available as an add-on service via Phat Aah’s entertainments.

Following the ceremony, the room was “refreshed” by the catering team, who transformed the Great Hall from rows to chairs to tables for the wedding breakfast.  I provided background music for  waiting guests, then once the tables were set evolved the energy of the day with performance of my first live set of the day – a collection of jazz, big band and pop standards designed to inject latin and swing tempos into the proceedings.  My live renditions of “Girl from Ipanema” and “Quando, Quando, Quando” led to some guests requesting more Buble songs – so I made sure to add these to the background music, as it was time by then to facilitate the wedding breakfast.

In my role as MC I invited guests to their table, then bid them to rise and welcome the new Mr & Mrs Jones’ Grande Entrance – too much applause and a fanfare.  At the couple’s suggestion, I then provided a mixture of jazz and blues background music through the meal, as well as some of their favourite pre-recorded love-songs, while I continued to as act as MC and introduce the speeches, cake cutting and the couple’s exit to freshen up before the evening party. 
Afterwards Susan commented
"I was worried about the 'atmosphere' during the day, but feel the live jazz set and the music during the wedding breakfast gave the exact atmospherewe were looking for... Thank you for doing the MC as this made it look very professional."

As further evening guests arrived, disco & performance lights we put in place and I mixed the music into more upbeat background music building to the first key moment of the evening – namely a hugely entertaining and superbly choreographed surprise first dance.  Part-way through Seal’s cover of “Stand By Me” I created the sound the needle ripping off the record and into a 6-minute compilation I had helped the couple put together.  I can take no credit for the performance and execution  - it must all go to Susan & Paul who had been practicing the moves for a good few months...and it certainly showed!

After rapturous applause I immediately launched into my second live set, opening with a mid-tempo romantic number chosen for everyone to now join the newlyweds on the floor – which they did with earnest!  Susan took this opportunity to dance with her father, while Paul (if I’m not mistaken) was fleet of foot to cwtch* a well deserved pint at the bar: although he was soon back out on the dance-floor as I sang & played some of his requests as well as his new wife’s. 

Disco music, more live sets and more disco followed, with a mixture of classic and chart so that guests off all ages danced to something they loved.  Another spontaneous conga occurred at a mid-point, and again I take no responsibility!  Although the funniest moment for me was seeing a group of the older family & guests dancing to LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It” – not what I’d expected when I mixed into it!

We wrapped the night with 3 of the couple’s requests...Bjork’s “It’s Oh So Quiet” (a family thing...don’t ask), then Seal’s “Stand by Me” again – this time played all the way through while the newlyweds and other couples had a few romantic moments together.  Then, with everyone joining them on the floor, the party swayed and sang along to Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’”.

A wonderful, wonderful day, and such a pleasure to see the whole event through with this warm and funny couple – from ceremony (where I may admit to even filling up myself...a little...) right through to the end of the day. 

Thanks to social media, I was even able to keep track of them on epic American honeymoon (not too stalk-y, is it?) and able to issue their post-wedding pack to be in their letterbox upon return, with a copy of all photos we took on the night plus a complimentary gift CD album with some of my studio recordings.  (Now included as standard with full/complete entertainment package bookings.)

Afterwards, Susan posted these comments on my Facebook pages:
I couldn't fault anything and really cannot thank you enough for all your hard work. "
and
"a big thank you for all your hard work. We had lots of lovely comments about your music / entertainment and the mood lighting. The mood lighting was one of the best decisions made"

Finally, Susan & Paul’s official feedback form went on to comment:“We have received many positive comments on the music, your singing and the uplighters.......I really cannot thank you enough for the excellent service you gave & really feel we made the right choice by having you there all day, right through to the evening.  If you ever need a potential bride/client to speak with me then I would be more than happy to!”

Congratulations therefore once again to Paul & Susan – thank you for choosing us and for your lovely comments after the wedding.  Look forward to staying in touch.

 Take care...and have fun!

Jon Paul 

*Welsh version of the English “cuddle” – but much better, obviously.





Jon Paul is available to provide first class live & pre-recorded music, event hosting & venue decor services for weddings and celebrations in a variety of venues throughout South Wales and the whole UK.  Visit his website www.phataahs.com for more details, free demos and more photos!


No comments:

Post a Comment