NEW SONGS 2012 – Going from the Sublime to the ROCK-diculous. (Part 2)

New ballads & air-guitar anthems added to repertoire. 
(Re-wind to HERE if you want to read about me being all touchy-feely and romantic!)
In an unusual move, I spend a chunk of my rehearsal time in The Summer of ’12 dedicating my vocal folds to the slightly heavier end of the music spectrum. 
I had been asked to perform an all-Rock set for a theme wedding in August , and while including several guitar-led numbers from my existing repertoire was a snip, I wanted to add more all-time rock classics that would appeal across the spectrum.  Some might disingenuously call it Dad-rock... but let’s face it: there’s no school like the old school. 
SO NOW... as a extra special bonus to all my clients, at no extra charge and during the live performance at *every* gig where I perform these songs, as a free gift to all guests of all ages I am delighted to supply an unlimited supply of high-quality, hand-crafted air guitars. 
Use ‘em or lose ‘em wannbe axemen.  ;-)
The guys in the old band didn't take
it well when I said I was going solo...
Now, I ought to hold my hands up with a wee confession.... when I say these are “new songs” in my repertoire, they are new for me as a solo performer.  During Ye Olde Dayes of Yore, when I worked with an array of live bands, I used to perform all of the tracks below.  Notwithstanding, I was a little worried working solo about recreating the raw energy I was used to alongside  4, 5, or 9 other all-live musicians...
Even so, by quality vetting various backing tracks it was possible to single out versions where the studio musicians and track producers had allowed the verve and energy of !rock! music to seep into the recording.  Some, cheap midi & karaoke backings, sounded artificial and weak to me:  I am delighted to be able to use high-quality arrangements that have that ‘live feel.’  Audiences would probably only notice if you play they tracks side-by-side....but it matters to *me*!
Clients also don’t have the live-band inconvenience to newlyweds of needing to provide a dressing room and pick the blue M&Ms out of the bowl.       “Shaaarrrrrroooonnnnn!!!!” ß Ozzy impression.  ;-)
So without further prevarication, the “new” songs I have now added to my stand-alone repertoire are:
Born To Be Wild (Steppenwolf)

Dude: where's my car?

This has to be the ultimate Bikers’ anthem, drawn from the soundtrack of seminal 1969 buddy-cum-road-movie “Easy Rider.”  I actually really like the way the vocal balances a wire between softer-than-you’d-imagine phrases and pure unbridled rawness as you rip into the chorus. 

I don’t need to do my usual quote-the-lyrics bit here: everyone seems to know ‘em, and that’s why this song is perfect for a mixed-group event AND themed shows alike, where everyone wants to rock! 
Bad Case of Lovin’ You (Doctor Doctor) – Robert Palmer
Yorkshire’s own Robert Palmer is undoubtedly one of the artists who have influenced me the most since I was just a teenager £&%$ years ago.  (£&%$ is not a typo... I’m not telling YOU how long ago I was a teenager!!!)
Palmer, suffering some ugly, ugly women
What I love most about Palmer is, no matter how eclectic the style he sang, he always injects a soulfulness into the track.  He saw most commercial success in his ‘80s pop-rock period, videoed alongside miming black-dressed super-models, (the poor man!) but for me the rawness of this 1978 classic echoed a return to the unencumbered intensity of his vocals with band Vinegar Joe.
This track really gives me a change to wail, but what I like most is that people react like they’ve forgotten the song and are suddenly reminded just how much they loved it – literally jumping out of their seats!  Alongside other songs I perform by the sadly departed Palmer, it’s a chance for me to tip my hat to (in my opinion) probably one of the finest rhythm ‘n’ blues voices the UK has ever produced.
Jump (Van Halen)

Just go ahead and jump...

Ironically, one of the hugest hits for these 80s stadium-fillers was also the basis of the rift between Eddie Van Halen & vocalist David Lee Roth: with Roth wanted to move away from the keyboard/synth riffs that make this track so outstanding. 
The synth part works so well building the music to crescendos and (for me) leaves space for some utterly enjoyable vocals howls and almost melodramatic vocals, plus acts as a perfect counterpoint for the wailing guitar solo
More than this, the closing repetition of the anthemic chorus is purely wonderful to get my audience bouncing & singing along, plus I can vamp off-beat call-backs as they shout the words to me! 
Plus I get to pogo around the performance space like an idiot aged 21 again....it’s quite euphoric!
For those who know the band’s music video, please note I do not attempt the jumping high-splits like DL Roth.... I’m clearly not 21 anymore.  :-/
All Right Now (Free)
Paul Rodgers et al in Free. 
I merely *dream* of such hair....
This is a perfect show-closer:  it grows and grows to the first chorus, ideal for encouraging more and more people onto the dance floor. 
It’s a huge challenge to perform but a sheer joy, crossing an expanse in my vocal range from some recitative* (*almost spoken) lines thrown away in the verse through to huge screams and series of belted high-notes as the chorus intensifies.
Also it has a superb instrumental, a perfect length for dipping music volume and offering some valedictory thanks & dedications on behalf of a happy couple, then getting all the audience to cheer the newlyweds as I segue into a scream, swoop and holler before the song’s repeating chorus finale.
Don’t know if you can tell I’m well-enthusiastic about this one?!
So there we go – a whistle-stop tour of new rock-party songs now available to anyone booking my services.  An hour-long Sounds of Rock show is also an option that can be book ed to juxtapose similar length Sounds Of Swing, Sounds of Jazz and (soon to be finalised) Sounds of Soul sets... a melange of different styles that is available from few other artists in this area.

Crumbs: hark at Mr Egotist here!....I think I’ve been playing at being a Rock god too long....
Take care...<rock on> and have fun  ;-)

Jon Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment