ALBUM ANATOMY - ‘Round Sundown by Jon Paul (Part 1of2)

A not-so-quick-guide to my new CD release’s ‘whys and wherefores’
 Am still feeling very proud having recently taken delivery of new baby: a limited edition printing of my new CD album, called ‘Round Sundown.  In a nutshell, it’s a ‘tribute’ (although I hate the connotations of that word!) to some of the music which has inspired and delighted me since I was a young lad, brought up by my “mature to start having children” ;-) parents, on a steady diet of old-school Radio 2.
Humphrey Littleton & 'Friday Night Is Music Night': you made me the man I am today.  That and my Nanna Doris singing me Fred Astaire songs as she danced around the ironing.
So here’s a little breakdown into the thought processes behind the design and song choices for this album.  All things considered: all things were considered.
ALBUM ETHOS
After scatting around various ideas for monikers for the project, (some of which were super- pretentious turkeys I will say!), I finally settled on “ ’Round Sundown”.  My ethos for the album was to assemble a CD with popular standards alongside lesser-known but still popular jazz arrangements. 
Some of these are more melancholic, introspective tracks I tend not to sing in my typical wedding entertainment sets.  I wanted something, in part, that was ‘dusky’, that could be used as much for background music in a cocktail bar as the evening becomes night and the music ‘hots up’.  The space for the instruments was as important for me as showcasing my vocal attempts.
SO: Easy listening without being fluff.  Popular without being hackneyed.  Having integrity without being a jazz-snob-bore.  I hope I have achieved this not only in the track list, but in the mood I evoke simply in the name.

The title is also a reference to the number “Round Midnight” covered famously by my girl Ella Fitzgerald and more recently, Amy Winehouse.  There’s also the Miles Davies album “Round About Midnight”, the design and mood of which I found inspiring.
COVER/CD DESIGN & TECH DETAILS
From the outset I knew I wanted to release a ‘record’ (to use an anachronism!) which would be a nod to the Blue Note & Pacific vinyl of the 1950s.  I researched a lot of album designs from the period for inspiration.

For my CD the block lettering & strong colour, monochromes and tinting reflect what was  popular in the period, as well as the use of subdued/reportage style photos.  Likewise the type-writer font and separation of contributing artists’ names with a forward slash – much like the ‘personnel’ lists on my jazz releases – is another knowing touch. 
What I love the most about Blue Note records’ design is the iconic label stamp.  I have tipped my trilby to the pride those ‘50s engineers and designers had with a tributary logo in the top right of my cover.  My independent recording imprint name, ‘Spoil The Broth’ is a little in-joke as one of my engineers and I share the same surname, but also a reminder that sometimes I need to keep it simple!  :-D
I was also keen to produce a high-quality physical produce at a reasonable price as well as to this entirely legally.  With disrespect to no-one, I want my professionalism to shine through wherever possible in everything I do.  I am proud that side by side, I feel the quality difference would be evident.  I have used a slim-line jewel case to not only avoid passing higher production costs on purchasers, but also reduce the environmental impact.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC? (You can read this [[NEXT]])
If you don’t have a copy in your collection yet, it can be ordered for £6 + £1 p&p – contact me via info@phataahs.com for your personal copy.
In the meantime
Take care...and have fun!

Jon Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment