NEW SONGS – New Ballads & Party Numbers Added to Repertoire

An unusual move this time – all three of the new additions resulted from request for a very special wedding I was booked to provide all-day live entertainment and music for in a wonderful wedding venue in Taunton, Somerset.  More about the day can be read in a future blog entry.

The songs the couple asked me to learn are now available for other weddings and events, and are:

I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You [Elvis Presley]

Elvis (before all the burgers)
There were several backing track arrangements of this song from The King’s 1961 Blue Hawaii album.  I ended up getting three of them, all suitable to different styles of events.  One has a very bluesy guitar part, the other has a very upfront bass part and prominent backing vocals.  The third, which I used for singing at the signing (see what I did there?) of the register at the Taunton wedding – has a lighter production with softer harmonies.  This enabled me to sing the song more softly, which suited the occasion.

It’s just a short number, a quite sentimental as many of this vintage style of ballads are.  It very much reminds me of the vibe of the original arrangements from the era, such as “Unchained Melody” – which I have been holding off performing ever since Robson & Jerome & Gareth Gates’ versions threatened it becoming more hackneyed than a JK Rowling novel.  (Sorry, Harry Potter fans!)

The same is certainly not true of this Elvis number however – the song works well if performed with a gossamer touch.  It demands fragility rather than soul, and I enjoy the versatility it adds to my styles. 

I’m Yours [Jason Mraz]

Despite a laid-back façade, this is a surprisingly difficult number to perform and master.  The lyrics have an exceedingly swift progression, with the syllables almost tumbling over each other.  Getting my breathing right is the challenge each time I sing this – and remembering to be very sparing with vibrato and not to sustain notes until necessary. 

picture from Crimewatch?
The song has a real tropical, summery vibe about it, perfect for early evening sets.  I’ve performed it a few times before and after the Somerset wedding: and it usually has the audience singing and tapping the fingers.

My favourite part of the song as the scat instrumental and postlude, where I can vamp/improvise around the melody – which I do-do-do-do do with gusto!  In the right situation it’s also possible to set up a call-and-answer with the right audience. 

My music software enables me to loop the end section seamlessly – so if this is the kind of interaction a client wants it’s something else I can provide.  (Again setting me apart from “just” a karaoke-style artist.

My Destiny [Lionel Richie]

This was learned to add energy into the ceremony of my West Country wedding's newlywed-egress.  (eg the couple and their guests heading back up the aisle after the register was signed.)
For that, it was an inspired choice by the bride (good thinking Debbie!), which added a joyous little skip to everyone’s step – which was nice, as they went outside to throw the rice.

(EDIT - Excuse please my rhyme crime- I didn’t plan it at the time !)

I have since found the song also works really well as a party song, too: it's on the faster side of mid-tempo, the rhythm is just right for early doors, while guests are still “winding up” to going really crazy on the dance-floor later on!

I was surprised to learn the song was only released in 1992 (only?! Am showing my age again!) BECAUSE (watch as I try to redeem myself) it has a very smooth sound, reminding me of some of my favourite 80s soul artists like Luther Vandross & Alexander O’Neal (whom I once met in a nightclub – NAMEDROP!)

…Although I can see in retrospect that the shuffle in the percussion track is a little reminiscent of other MOBO styles from the early 90s – such as Boys II Men and Colour Me Badd.
Even so, I can’t really see me singing “I’ll Make Love To You” or “I Wanna Sex You Up” and a wedding any time soon.  8-/
I have, however, added several Lionel Richie songs into my repertoire now: the positive reaction his music always gets from a range of age-groups is fantastic – and what the people wants the people gets... 


 
Next time I might even get ‘em ‘Dancing On The Ceiling’.  ;-)


Take care….and have fun

Jon Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment