SHOW REPORT – Craig & Lissa’s Wedding – Hotel Plas Hyfred, Narbeth 21 July 2011

(NB – it’s Lissa, not Lisa!)

Pas Hyfryd's lawn & terrace
Hitched up my wagon for a minor trek to beautiful Pembrokeshire, where Lissa & Craig were celebrating their wedding in this lovely private hotel in the delightful village of Narbeth. I was a little nervous about whether I could ignite the party, as there were only 40 or so guests and it was also a “school night” – with possibly some guest reserving themselves for work the next day.  It can happen!

Lissa had wanted a self-contained and cost effective solution to add a variety of music to the afternoon and evening, and told me that my service seemed to offer that.  (Not to brag, but she was right.) 
Compact stage space & lighting

I was therefore booked to provide background music during their wedding breakfast which enabled the atmosphere to flow seamlessly into the evening party, for which I was also The Man With The Mic.  ;-).  A discreet and compact set out was required – which I was able to provide and STILL have space for some performance lighting for my wee stage area!

I played a selection of subtle popular music for atmosphere during dinner, then after the speeches, I opened the night with the first of three sets.  This included some ballads and classic mid-tempo favourites alongside a smattering of big band Swing standards – just as the couple had wanted.  Pretty soon I could see some of the … more mature … guests singing along – and was delighted when some of the 'youngsters' got up and danced to numbers they recognised, as covered by Robbie Williams and Michael Buble.

Later, the bride wrote to say: “We have had so many compliments from our guests about the entertainment and everyone has said how fantastic your voice was.”

"Cheese!"...and cake? Cheese-cake?
This set warmed the crowd up ready for the newlywed’s First Dance.  The couple had asked I play Aerosmith’s ‘Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing’ then immediately kick the party into full gear.  Lissa had requested I do this by playing Shania Twain’s ‘Man! I Feel Like a Woman’ – which was a family party favourite.  The dance-floor filled immediately (thanks Lis'!), so I followed Shania with one party floor-filler after another (avoiding cheesy party-dance songs tho', as Craig didn't want everyone sat on the floor in a line to "Oops Upside Your Head" - <shudder>).  Guests kept dancing, up to and into the time for more live music.

Two more live sets followed, also intersected with disco.  Lissa had asked I use current & recent chart music sparingly, and I was happy to play lots of 80s and 90s in this part of the night – my era too!

After this, my live sets also concentrated on lots of songs from this around era – including a performance of ‘All Night Long’ by Lionel Ritchie (one of Lissa’s favourite artists!) plus 70s funky-finger madness with ‘Oh! What A Night’ especially dedicated to her mum, Nerys. 

Afterwards, Lissa emailed to say: “Your song choices were perfect and had the guests up and dancing all night! For a wedding of only 40 people to have them all up and dancing throughout the evening is quite a feat and you did it so thank you so much!”

Well really I should thank YOU, Lissa: a Thursday night NEVER been this enjoyable for me!  J
Having personally planned the music with Lissa & Craig, I knew she and the guests particularly like tunes of the air-guitar-hero persuasion – so after belting out ‘Johnny B. Goode’ and ‘Rockin’ All Over The World’ we moved on to mix up the original artists including Bon Jovi's “Living On A Prayer” (another couples' request!), The Jam’s ‘A Town Called Malice’, The Clash’s ‘Rock The Casbah’, and even a little bit of “Boy’s Don’t Cry” by The Cure - which got a great response! 

"Oh, get a  room*!!"  *from just £70
I wrapped the night with signature "double-tap", that is: (i) a ‘smoochy’ number (this time, the wonderful “Too Much Heaven” by the Bee Gees) followed by (ii) a huge climatic number, with all the family hugging and singing along - ending the night on a high.  (But you’ll have to guess what that track was - I’m not giving you ALL my trade secrets!)

In summary, the happy bride commented: 
“Thank you so much for performing at our wedding…. Thank you for your professionalism on the night. We had a fabulous day and your performance really helped to make it perfect. 
We will definitely recommend you to friends and family for any future events. You were fantastic!”

Congratulations again to the new Mr & Mrs Clayton – keep on rockin’!  J

Some more pictures of the night:








Take care…and have fun

Jon Paul



Jon Paul is available as a wedding singer, host and DJ throughout in  Pembrokeshire, Camarthen, Swansea & Neath, Glamorgan and throughout Wales, The West and the whole UK.  Providing daytime, evening and all-day entertainment solutions, Jon sings a cariety of jazz & swing, ballads and soul, pop and rock party music that thrills and delights audiences whenever he performs.~

Visit our main website for more information about how Phat Aahs' Entertainments can tailor entertainment for your event and budget.

~Except his kids, at bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment